Friday, September 30, 2011

Foodie Find Friday: The Dive N

Do you ever crave something deliciously bad for you?  I know I do.  We are always searching for a good "greasy spoon".  You just can't beat a burger cooked on a flat top grill with a side of fries.  About a year ago, we discovered a little place in Pineville called The Dive N.  It's right on South Blvd. before you cross over Pineville-Matthews Rd.  Open Monday through Saturday for breakfast and lunch, this place has a huge menu that will satisfy most any craving.

When you walk in, you will be greeted by 50's style diner decor, vintage advertisements, festive vinyl booths, and even an Elvis Presley mural on the back wall.  A family run business, you are always welcomed by the warm smiles of the staff and owners.  At the counter where you order, there is a large chalkboard menu hung on the wall.  There you will find a sea of breakfast and lunch items.  Additionally they have daily specials to add to your choices.  Once you order, you take a seat and your food is brought out to you.  Inside you will find booths and tables, probably enough to seat 40 or 50.  Outside there is a covered patio, and this past summer they added some great picnic tables and umbrellas in the front.

I have been there for both breakfast and lunch.  The breakfast menu has just about everything you could ask for, and more.  I am a sucker for good hash browns, and The Dive N does not disappoint.  They are the shredded type, and you can tell they were finished on the flat top grill by the crispy pieces on top and throughout.  Most recently I ordered the daily special, which included two eggs cooked my way, a meat of my choice, and two pancakes.  The girl (one of the daughters) was so helpful, I always have such a hard time making a menu choice.  My husband could tell you all about that!  She told me that the special included two small pancakes.  Once the food came out, I was very curious to know what a regular pancake looked like!  I chose liver mush, or liver pudding as some say, for my meat.  I love liver mush.  I think that this is one of those southern items, like okra, where if you haven't been raised on it you will not try it as an adult.  My husband adds merit to my theory, he will never sample this delicacy.  Of course, let's not forget liver mush's less-healthy cousin, Scrapple.  Now that's something you see up north more than here.  He's not trying that either.  As usual, I digress.  He ordered a sausage and egg sandwich, but this was a special sandwich because it also had a hearty portion of homemade pimento cheese in there, oh yes he did that.  Genius.  Their pimento cheese is awesome!  More about that later.  Part of my decision making dilemma was that my meal wasn't going to include hash browns.  Have no fear, my husband came to the rescue.  He got a side order to share since I agreed to share my "small" pancakes.  Behold, our feast:
How about those pancakes?

This was one hearty breakfast, and even with two teas to drink, our bill was less than $15.  Can you believe all this food?  I love that this place is open on Saturdays too, we love a late, leisurely breakfast on Saturday mornings.

This week, we went to The Dive N for lunch.  Much like breakfast, there is a huge menu with specials each day.  I made my decision much quicker and easier this time.  I went for the chicken salad sandwich on Texas Toast.  It was piled high with chicken salad, and topped with lettuce and tomato.  I skipped the extra mayo smear, let's cut calories where we can.  I opted for a pasta salad instead of fries, I was feeling healthy that day.  The chicken salad was great, it had a nice flavor, and I could see tiny bits of carrot and onion in there.  Very traditional, which is nice. A lot of places get funky with their chicken salads these days, and they are good, but it's also nice to go back to a traditional version.  My husband went for a grilled pimento cheese.  Yes, he loves the pimento cheese here.  Just imagine the familiar look of a semi-flattened grilled cheese, but inside is the warm gooey pimento cheese.  Something about it is just so much better than a regular grilled cheese.  Not feeling the need for healthy options, he chose the fries.  Again, a hearty meal and with two teas to drink, another meal under $15.


If you are in the mood for a burger, pick any of theirs and you will love it.  Their hot dogs are great too, they have all the toppings, including chili.  Be sure to pick up their punch card with your order.  You get a punch for every $5 you spend, and once your card is filled, you get $5 off!

So next time you are looking for a true diner experience, head down to The Dive N.  You will love the food, the atmosphere, and the staff.

109 North Polk St.
Pineville, NC
704-889-DIVE

No comments:

Post a Comment