Friday, September 23, 2011

Foodie Find Friday: The Open Kitchen

If you are looking for a fancy Italian restaurant, this is not the place.  But if you are looking for authentic, amazing Italian, then you must check out The World Famous Open Kitchen.  This restaurant, located on Morehead Street in the Wesley Heights neighborhood (a few minutes from uptown), has been around since 1952.  That's right, 1952.  I have been going to The Open Kitchen for as long as I can remember with my family, and I will take anyone there that is willing.  My sweet storytelling grandmother, who is now 91, always says that she went on dates there.  Now she has been known to embellish on her stories as grandmothers often do, and given that she was married in 1940, I doubt that her dating days were spent there, but I don't doubt that her and my grandfather frequented the place beginning in the 1950's.

When you walk in, you are greeted by a sea of pictures, newspaper clippings and pennants that leave not a single inch of wall (or ceiling) exposed.  Pictures of Charlotte from decades ago in frames are scattered about as well.  Maybe it's because I'm a Charlotte native, but I love to look at those old pictures, to see what the city used to be, and what it has become. 

The tables are covered with red and white checkered picnic table cloths, along with your standard jars of powdered Parmesan and red pepper flakes.  There are a few main dining rooms, one to the right and a couple to the left.  In the room to the right there is a bear on a unicycle that runs across the room on a string.  I loved that thing as a kid!  Oh who am I kidding, I still love it when he cycles across the room.

If you come on a weekend night, either make reservations or be prepared to wait.  Once seated, your server will bring you a basket of bread, along with crackers.  My mom just loves the Melba toast, she says she never sees it anywhere else.  The menu has a lot to offer.  They have many Italian specialties like Lasagne Di Stefano which is basically traditional lasagna with a hearty helping of extra cheese baked on top.  My husband's personal favorite is the Fettuccine Di Alessandro.  To call it Alfredo would not be fair.  Picture fresh fettuccine noodles smothered in a bubbly, creamy Alfredo sauce, with chopped bacon and Parmesan cheese mixed in.  Top it off with a well-seasoned chicken breast, and you have the Fettuccine Di Alessandro.  My husband likes it so much he refuses to order Alfredo anywhere else, he's exclusive to The Open Kitchen.

I always start my meal off with a house salad.  Always.  Their house dressing is called Mama K's Italian and it is unbelievable.  They bring it out in a squeeze bottle, now that's what I'm talking about.  Somehow I always manage to spill some dressing onto my bread.  Oops.  I'm not the only big fan of this dressing, because they actually sell it by the bottle.  Is it a surprise to know that I have gone home with a bottle more than once?  Call me boring, but I almost always order the same meal at The Open Kitchen.  My family could be spokespeople for spaghetti and meat sauce.  I grew up eating it all of the time, and we would often eat it at restaurants as well.  For those Charlotteans, you may remember the Spaghetti Warehouse which is now Byron's South End, or the Spaghetti Factory which is now The Big Chill.  So spaghetti and meat sauce is my dish of choice here, and it never disappoints.  I've branched out and tried the meatballs, but they weren't as good as the sauce.  I have also ordered the pizza at times, and it is delicious.  The crust is thin, the toppings are fresh.  It comes out piping hot, made just for you.

The Open Kitchen is hands down one of my favorites places to eat.  The food is always delicious, the staff is friendly, and it just has a great feel to it.  Wear what you want, be comfortable.  It's all about the food.  This is and always has been a family run business, and they do a great job of making you feel welcome.  I am not the only one that loves this place, check out this blog I stumbled upon this week to see some great pictures, and interesting history of the place:   http://charlotteeats.blogspot.com/2008/03/open-kitchen-hall-of-fame-eatery.html

The Open Kitchen cannot be missed.  I just love that it has been open for so long, and I hope it will stay around for many, many years to come.  So be sure to visit soon, enjoy the food, you will be hooked!  And remember to take a bottle of Mama K's dressing home with you too.

The Open Kitchen
1318 W Morehead Street
Charlotte, NC 28208
704.375.7449

~Alisa
info@charlotteeventstyle.com
704.960.2262

No comments:

Post a Comment